BRUSSELS - Voicing concern about tax evasion that is estimated at one trillion euros, European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso said Tuesday that EU leaders will meet at a one-day summit on Wednesday to negotiate solution. The European Union can't afford to let tax evasion go on the way it is. Such large amounts of money, currently sitting in tax havens, would be greatly beneficial ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
NEW YORK - Pharma major Pfizer has discontinued the development of cancer candidate inotuzumab ozogamicin, which is part of a class of therapies called antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), in the haematological cancer non-Hodgkin lymphoma after it failed to show benefit in overall survival during phase III trials. Pfizer has notified the study investigators and appropriate regulatory authorities ...
WASHINGTON - GrubHub Inc. and Seamless North America LLC, two of the biggest online services for food-delivery in the U.S., have entered into a definitive agreement to combine their companies to take on rivals in the growing market for online meal orders. The merger will create a combined company well positioned to drive more orders to restaurants, deliver a better experience for hungry ...
LONDON - The UK housing market seems to be picking up with gross mortgage lending up 4.3 per cent in April over previous month to 12.1 billion pounds, the highest in over four years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). The mortgage lending was 21% higher than April 2012, but this data is skewed by the end of the stamp duty concession on 24 March, 2012. Under the stamp duty ...
Super Fuzz (Poliziotto superpiù) [DVD]
Since the 1950s, the economic and artistic intersection of American and various European film industries has produced a number of important coproductions that have become lasting and influential classics of world cinema, including Jean-Luc Godards Conte ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
REDMOND, WASHINGTON Microsoft Corp gave the world the first look at its new game console on Tuesday, hoping the Xbox One will attract existing video game fans while also becoming a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation Microsoft console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
Reuters © Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda arrives at the G7 Finance Ministers meeting in Aylesbury, southern England May 10, 2013. REUTERS/Alastair ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Metro Hotel on Pitt
A truly affordable hotel in Sydney, with stylish decor, great location and in-house snazzy brasserie? If the notion of affordable ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Malaysia SunMalaysia Sun - Malaysian news as it happens
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Malaysia Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Malaysian news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Malaysian news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Malaysia news, the weather forecast for Malaysia you'll find it all in the Malaysia Sun.
From Johor to Kelantan and Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysia Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
A Hindu endowment board that conducts the affairs of the Hindu community and temples in a Malaysian state has lodged a police complaint after three gold bars went missing from its office.
The Penang Hindu Endowment Board lodged the complaint May 17 over the three gold bars that went missing Dec 26 last year from its office in Georgetown, capital of Penang state, the Malaysian Star reported Monday.
The discovery was made by board secretary P. Selva.
He was conducting an inventory check when he found that the number of bars in the safe box did not tally with the figure in the office records.
"We were conducting our own internal investigations since then (Dec 26, 2012) and we found out that there were discrepancies in the computer records as compared to the inventory," board commissioner Mureli Navaratnam said.
The bars weigh a total of 1.6 kg and are worth about 250,000 Malaysian ringgits.
- Bank of Japan may seek to ease bond market jitters policy seen on hold
- Sony to assess spin-off proposal for entertainment business Nikkei
- Government pours scorn on new round of US hacking accusations
- UK government plans to boost British fund industry
- UPDATE 1-Denso execs to plead guilty to price fixing in Toyota case
- River cruise line adds a second vessel to sail Pacific Northwest
- Ship Storm - By John Norris
- Marine Exclusion Zone Proposal Deferred
- Hoge’s Observations From Bears’ OTAs Trestman Running A Tight Ship
- Sydney ferries to get a boost
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Chiranjeevi offers wide opportunities to foreign film producers in India
- Civil Aviation Minister takes action against erring DGCA officers
- Mexicos tourism sector goes up
- South Australian Tourism Commission using short films to show new side to city
- Country diary Cotehele Tamar Valley Sid Coombe No 1 among this years thick and gorgeous apple blossoms
- Environmental First Nations activists protest at Sarnia oilsands meeting
- Joint Information Environment Serves Warfighters Official Says
- Environmental Working Groups top sunscreens for 2013
- Shell suffers embarrassing shareholder rebellion over executive pay
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Choupette Instagrams The Glamorous Jet-Set Lifestyle of Karl Lagerfeld’s Pampered Cat in Pictures
- Rovers edge out Dundalk in EA Sports Cup
- Spring training with the NY Liberty Fitness is a year-round job
- Why Star Trek Made San Francisco the Headquarters for Its Futuristic Utopia
- Appeals Court Revives Ex-QBs Lawsuit Over NCAA Football Game
- What TVGuide.com Watchlist Data Reveals About the Seasons New Dramas
- How Do You Introduce a Mobile-Only Bank With a Mobile Orchestra Of Course.
- Samsungs men are pigs ad for TVs gets YouTube love
- Cannes Weinstein Co. Picks Up Reeves-Witherspoon Space Romance Passengers
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- Woman accused of conning elderly mother breaks down in witness box
- After Taking Medical Bills Into Account One In Seven American Seniors Live In Poverty
- Death of elderly Vancouver Island man ruled a homicide
- Trevor Bolder bass player for David Bowies 70s backing band dies aged 62
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Malaysia Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Police Use of handcuffs on student activist is standard operating procedure
- Najib congratulates Everest-conquering Felda youths
- Suspected cow thieves get ‘moo’ then they bargained for
- RCI Foreign nationals owe RM21.67mil in medical bills
- Malaysia Komited Tingkat Kualiti Hidup Melalui Pendidikan - Muhyiddin