Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Kashmir's Nageen Lake has got a new look following the construction of a state of the art Sewage Treatment Plant (STP), and due to a cleanliness drive that has attracted tourists and received applause from locals. The Lakes and Waterways Development Authority (LAWDA) constructed the STP which has a capacity to treat 5.4 million litres of sewage per day. Saqib, a resident, appreciated the state ...
MANILA, Philippines - In line with heightened efforts to boost the country's tourism industry, the government is eyeing to double its tourism receipts to $8 billion in 2016, a tourism official said. Tourism Promotion Board chief operating officer Domingo Ramon Enerio III, in an interview with The STAR at the Puregold Sari-Sari Store Convention, said for this year alone, tourism receipts - ...
International tourist arrivals to Thailand posted a growth of 19.04% during January to April this year, according to Ministry of Tourism and Sports' data. Released late last week, the ministry's research registered 8,841,730 trips to the country during the first 4 months, up from 7,427,772 visits during the same period last year. In April alone, there were 2,013,012 trips, up 19.38% ...
Jointly hosted by Sanya Tourism Development Commission and Sanya Tourism Association, the Forum for 2013 Sanya Tourism was held in Yalong Bay on May 16th. More than 120 hotel general managers, sales directors and other relevant people attended the meeting. The forum provides a platform for participants to exchange ideas and discuss the potential for the development of Sanya’s ...
Talk to Her (Hable con ella)
For more than a decade, Spanish writer/director Pedro Almodvar has specialized in making the bizarre poignant, and in Talk to Her (Hable con ella), he has developed his most richly satisfying and deeply felt work without sacrificing the unique edge that makes it impossible not to talk about his films afterwards. Romance in the cinema is all too often routine, predictable; Almodvars ... ...
Travelers head out of Chicago along Interstate 90 May 27, 2005 in Des Plaines, Illinois. Travelers heading out for the Memorial Day weekend may be facing pain at the pump but that won't stop them from getting in their cars.They just won't be heading to the airport.On Wednesday, AAA released its annual Memorial Day forecast, estimating that 34.8 million Americans will travel more than ...
1 hour ago At a time when the partisan divide in Congress grows ever wider, it seems there's one thing legislators can agree on: They're dead-set against TSA's temporarily postponed plan to let passengers carry small knives on board airplanes.On Wednesday, a bipartisan group of 145 members of the House of Representatives sent a letter to the TSA commending them for delaying the ...
South Florida’s booming hotel market hit a lull in April, but stay tuned. The latest hotel numbers from Smith Travel Research mostly showed modest growth in the revenue South Florida hotels generated from their rooms, a big change from the double-digit growth seen during the high season of 2013. But with April a notoriously fickle month — spring vacation bookings tend to shift year ...
WINNIPEG - Temple Hotels Inc. (TSX:TPH) said Wednesday it has signed a deal to buy the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites in Sherwood Park, Alta., for $15.15 million. The four-storey hotel has 90 rooms, including 69 standard rooms and 21 suites. The company said the purchase will be financed by the assumption of a first mortgage loan of $10.5 million and the balance in cash. The mortgage ...
Spirit Airlines came in last place in a Consumer Reports ranking of America's best airlines. These days when most airlines are turning people off with their excessive fees and crowded flights, Virgin America is getting some of the highest customer satisfaction scores any airline has seen in years. According to ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
The taxi drove through the center of the building to an arrival station for the Crowne Plaza which is a ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Malaysia SunMalaysia Sun - Malaysian news as it happens
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Malaysia Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Malaysian news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Malaysian news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Malaysia news, the weather forecast for Malaysia you'll find it all in the Malaysia Sun.
From Johor to Kelantan and Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysia Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
A court in Malaysia has sentenced two Indian-origin men to separate jail terms for brutally assaulting a Nigerian that led to his death.
Judge Noor Azian Shaari of the high court in Shah Alam, the capital of the Malaysian state of Selangor, sentenced V. Ganesan, 29, to one year in jail and T. Kumar, 29, to seven years in jail for causing grievous injuries to Nwabudike Emmanuel Chukwuma that led to his death in April last year, the New Straits Times reported Wednesday.
According to the report, the perpetrators of the crime had accused the Nigerian of cheating them and had gone to the latter's home in Taman Puncak Jalil township in Selangor at 2.30 a.m. April 23 last year.
After a heated argument, Kumar punched Chukwuma on his body, face and head. He then dragged the victim to the road outside and kicked him there as well.
Ganesan punched and kicked Chukwuma twice.
The duo were arrested after neighbours of Chukwuma alerted the police.
Chukwuma was taken to a hospital where he died two days later.
In the ruling, the judge said that the two should not have taken the law into their own hands and ordered that they serve their respective jail terms from the date they were arrested, April 23, 2012.
- April sees Japan trade deficit jump to 879.9bn yen
- US delegation to urge labour reforms in Bangladesh
- Nikkei climbs to fresh 5-12-year high buoyed by weaker yen
- Toyota Boots BMW Out of Top Value Slot
- China Growth May Hit 9 by Mid-2014
- Trinindad Football hints at probe to uncover missing funds
- Putin calls for fast naval deliveries
- Port Hardy RCMP look into assault involving elementary school children
- Sydney ferry flasher appeals jail term
- Cruise lines announce passenger bill of rights
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Cleanliness drive in Kashmir provide impetus to tourism
- Arena International Aviation to train Chinese pilots for Hainan Airlines
- Thawatchai Arunyik named next governor of Tourism Authority of Thailand
- Hanoi considering tourism police to protect tourists from street vendors
- Lily Cole to recieve honorary doctorate
- 300 Trees Planted At UBD As University Embraces Green Wave
- Ashes to ashes When the ash trees die people do too study finds
- RCMP has toxic work environment Ex Mountie
- Carnivorous Plant Keeps House With Ants
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- St. Louis man creates new app to connect sports fans
- Imran Khans PTI seeks pro-Taliban clerics help to initiate peace talks with outfit
- Brooklyn Beckham begins training with QPR following dads retirement
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from intl cricket
- GPG pension headache acknowledged
- Woman charged with mistreatment of elderly mother
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Malaysia Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Indian-origin men jailed in Malaysia
- Wall Street falters in volatile session on Fed worries
- Malaysia-Market factors to watch on May 23
- Malaysia to host Canberra car festival
- Syariah Court can annul child’s marriage says SIS